10.4.12

Almond Pesto with Chopped Tomato


I am proud to say that this is an original.
For this recipe, I studied various pesto recipes,
And just wasn't satisfied by what I saw.

Meanwhile, Matthew Lee was complaining about getting more protein,
So that's when I thought--
Why not add almonds to basil,
And just concoct my own pesto?!

So here it is.
My almond pesto recipe,
With chopped tomato and grilled onion on top.

I wanted something a little THICKER than the average pesto, so thats what I made.
Want something thinner, but still including the almonds?
Well, then, add less almonds and more oil.

Almond Pesto Ingredients:
2/3 c. fresh basil
1/3-1/2 c. olive oil
1/4-1/3 c. almonds
2 T. sunflower seeds
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. cracked black pepper

Directions: blend all ingredients, excluding the almonds, in a food processor. (Don't have a food processor? Try with your blender!) Once everything is blended, add the almonds and pulse briefly, until they are chopped finely, but still giving texture.

Serve on top of shell pasta or gnocchi. Top with freshly chopped tomato and grilled onion. I then added additional cracked pepper and various spices. Bon appetit!

6 comments:

  1. you're so crafty! this looks delicious!!! matthew is one lucky guy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it as a spread on gluten-free bread, or on GF pasta! For real. You are SO sweet:) we are just lucky to have ANNA in our lives...!!:)

      Delete
  2. Okay, all these recipes look absolutely delicious. Dinner date sometime? And I'm kind of curious about all these raw recipes. We've watched some documentaries lately on food, and it's making me want to be way healthier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinner date DEFINITELY! Though it will have to be in the Fall? I sure hope you will still be in the Provo area! PS. you should definitely start exploring some of the easier raw recipes- it will take little time, taste way richer, and is so much better for us! Tell me what you think?!

      Delete
  3. BETH i think you would dig putting avocado in that dish too!! i love vegan pesto and this is my favorite recipe!! http://chefchloe.com/entrees/avocado-pesto-pasta.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, you have convinced me! Ha! Avocado can make any good dish BETTER! Seriously, thanks for the great idea, Elise. Just bought a TON of fresh basil so I am trying your recipe ASAP:)

      Delete