31.3.12

Nutrition 101: Blueberries and Blackberries



Truth #1: I am taking a nutrition course.
Truth #2: I want to be a nutrition major now!

I know, know.
Random right?
But here's the thing:
Ever since I was in middle school, I signed up for emails from various health sites.
And since then, I have clung onto healthy recipes- and workouts.

I have kept food diaries on how certain foods effect my energy and focus.
And then researched to see how my results compliment with science.

My friends and family have taken on a raw, vegan, vegetarian, major carnivore lifestyle-
everything!
And it is SO fun exploring all diets and understanding the effects of food on the body.

That's why I love my nutrition class!
And I just love nutrition!

And, ya know, there are so many good foods out there.
True story.
And not a news flash for you, I'm sure.

But!
I just happened to be snacking on blueberries and blackberries-
my bowl shown above-
and I decided to post what I know about the benefits of blueberries.

Maybe someone will find this as interesting as me?!

Benefits of Blueberries, to name a few:
1. antioxidant (for those who don't know for sure, antioxidants do exactly what you might guess: they fight against oxidation. Hence anti-oxidant. Basically, short story, antioxidants neutralize free radicals, preventing your LDL or bad cholesterol from building up plaque. If you have enough antioxidants in your diet, you can actually remove bad cholesterol from your vessels- and likewise, if you don't have antioxidants in your diet, your LDL cholesterol more easily forms plaque, which eventually fills your arteries, and would then cause a stroke or heart attack- depending on the artery location.)
2. Because it is an antioxidant source, it helps protect against cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, inflammation, hypertension, etc.
3. Vitamin C, baby! Which is a great antioxidant, strengthens blood vessel walls, helps with bone growth, supports your immune system, and boosts your iron absorption...WOW!)
3. Also great source of vitamin B, E, and A. Also good source of iron!
3. Boosts eye sight (Thank you, vitamin A).
4. Fiber fiber fiber! (Which also helps protect against heart disease and diabetes. Helps with constipation and digestion. And helps with metabolic effects too!)

Sooooo:
What are you waiting for?!
Eat yo berries.


B & M

2 comments:

  1. nutrition! you would be fabulous at this!! love this post... and these berries! nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think so?! I just breathe in every new thing I learn!! When are you set to graduate, by the way?!

      Delete